If you have any problems with the registration process or logging in, please contact us.

Liquors Discuss, Wild Turkey: American Honey review at Alcohol Reviews forum; Went to a party the other night, and was looking around the liquor store for a fifth of something to ...

Go Back   Alcohol Report > Alcohol Reviews > Liquors

Post New Thread  Reply

Old March 26th, 2007, 05:50 AM   #1
Joey
лучшее

Default Wild Turkey: American Honey review

Went to a party the other night, and was looking around the liquor store for a fifth of something to bring. I was going to go with one of my old standby's but then I saw this moderately priced bourbon based liqueur sitting on the shelf for $24.99. So I figured, what the hell?

Let me first start off by saying, if you don't like the taste of honey, this beverage is not for you. It is loaded with honey and caramel flavoring. No need for a mixer with this stuff, straight on the rocks will be sufficient. Pretty sure it wasn't created with the typical bourbon fan in mind . The bourbon taste is way suppressed, but still in there somewhere, almost begging to be set free. It's similar to SoCo, but sweeter, and doesn't have that "cough medicine" type feel to it. At 71 proof, it's pretty easy to handle.

Overall, I like it, but it isn't something I would get all the time. I don't think it's worth dropping 25 bucks for a whole fifth, possibly $19.99 at the most.

Last edited by Joey : April 12th, 2009 at 11:17 AM.
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
Old March 27th, 2007, 06:44 PM   #2
F1_SS
Sweat shop owner

Never heard of this sounds pretty good, maybe ill check it out.

I do like traditional wild turkey.
F1_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 06:49 PM   #3
Joey
лучшее

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1_SS View Post
Never heard of this sounds pretty good, maybe ill check it out.

I do like traditional wild turkey.
If you're a hardcore bourbonite, this may not appeal to you. However, if your tastes are fairly diverse, I think you will like it.
Old March 27th, 2007, 07:22 PM   #4
F1_SS
Sweat shop owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyZeppelin View Post
If you're a hardcore bourbonite, this may not appeal to you. However, if your tastes are fairly diverse, I think you will like it.
Im pretty open, sounds like something i would like. I like a wide selection of beers as well.

I went to my friends house one day and he had the big bottle of wild turkey and i loved it. I have been meaning to buy a big bottle and take it to work, maybe ill get some of this when im shopping.
F1_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 07:35 PM   #5
Joey
лучшее

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1_SS View Post
Im pretty open, sounds like something i would like. I like a wide selection of beers as well.

I went to my friends house one day and he had the big bottle of wild turkey and i loved it. I have been meaning to buy a big bottle and take it to work, maybe ill get some of this when im shopping.
I could really benefit from taking a large bottle of something to work
Old March 8th, 2008, 04:41 PM   #6
Michael
Michael

Bought a bottle the other night. I was in the mood for a Rusty Nail but my local liquor joint was out of Drambuie. They not only insisted I would like this, they backed up their pitch with a free sample. Now, I'm not usually a bourbon man (sacrilege around these parts) but I have to say I do like this. Very smooth, has nice honey flavor and it's reasonably priced ($19.99) I wasn't looking for something similar to Drambuie in order to save money, but if anyone is, this is it.

Makes a nice toddy, too.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 06:00 PM   #7
Rusty Shackleford
porchmonkey

might have to try it. i like bourbon, but its sometimes too harsh. this might be great
Rusty Shackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 10:20 AM   #8
Joey
лучшее

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Bought a bottle the other night. I was in the mood for a Rusty Nail but my local liquor joint was out of Drambuie. They not only insisted I would like this, they backed up their pitch with a free sample. Now, I'm not usually a bourbon man (sacrilege around these parts) but I have to say I do like this. Very smooth, has nice honey flavor and it's reasonably priced ($19.99) I wasn't looking for something similar to Drambuie in order to save money, but if anyone is, this is it.

Makes a nice toddy, too.
Welcome to the site, im glad you liked it. That's amusing that not liking bourbon is frowned upon in KY. I had to look up the word "toddy" by the way
Old October 14th, 2008, 12:32 AM   #9
Johnny
This rounds on me.

I'm a big bourbon drinker. I love sipping on Woodford Reserve, Knob Creak, and Booker's to name a view.

I actually just sampled this stuff tonight and that's how I found the site, running a search on it.

My opinion, I like it. Very easy to drink and part of the reason Woodford Reserve is a favorite of mine is that I like the vanilla and honey tastes I pick up in it. Like the original poster said, if you don't care for honey then this is not for you.

While I'm not a big Wild Turkey fan over all, even the Rare Breed doesn't do much for me, this stuff is excellent. Very smooth for sipping and this will be what I'm drinking after that big Thanksgiving dinner this year when the rest of the fam is dipping into Pumpkin Pie.
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 09:57 PM   #10
free_booze
Crown Royal, yes please

50mL Wild Turkey Honey + 50mL Kahlua Mocha = Tootsie Roll

Sweet, but the chix like it

WT Honey is a bit too much honey for my taste, but not terrible...
free_booze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 02:39 PM   #11
Bob Zelin

Default I like American Honey

Hi -
I am a hardcore Jack Daniels and Woodford Reserve drinker, and actually don't care for Wild Turkey. But I went out to dinner and had an "American Honey" Martini, which was 100% American Honey - and it was teriffic. I joined this user forum, because I am surprised how many people don't like this product. It's the "easiest" bourbon product to drink, right out of the bottle, without chilling it, ice, or mixers. Right out of the bottle - it just tastes good. And at 71 proof, it does it's job. And yes, I have tried it with Sprite, Coke, etc. (even with a little Amaretto), and "it's all good". If you want to introduce a woman to bourbon - this is definately the product !

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 04:25 PM   #12
Joey
лучшее

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Zelin View Post
Hi -
I am a hardcore Jack Daniels and Woodford Reserve drinker, and actually don't care for Wild Turkey. But I went out to dinner and had an "American Honey" Martini, which was 100% American Honey - and it was teriffic. I joined this user forum, because I am surprised how many people don't like this product. It's the "easiest" bourbon product to drink, right out of the bottle, without chilling it, ice, or mixers. Right out of the bottle - it just tastes good. And at 71 proof, it does it's job. And yes, I have tried it with Sprite, Coke, etc. (even with a little Amaretto), and "it's all good". If you want to introduce a woman to bourbon - this is definately the product !

Bob Zelin
Good post, and welcome to the site Bob. Just out of curiosity, how did you find us?
Old April 6th, 2009, 10:55 PM   #13
Speedaddict81

Default Sweet

Ok, just bought a bottle of this stuff, now I'm looking for mixer sugestions. This is way too sweet for my taste (I've been drinking either Gentleman Jack, Woodford Reserve, or Jonnie Walker Gold on the rocks lately)

The stuff certainly works at 71 proof, but I need to cut the sweetness, any ideas?
Speedaddict81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 10:44 PM   #14
free_booze
Crown Royal, yes please

Shot and a half of the WT Honey with a shot and a half of Wild Turkey 101. Called a Bee Sting. Serve chilled and enjoy!
free_booze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 12:42 PM   #15
Speedaddict81

Not bad at about 4 parts coke 1 part AH WT. Going to go out on a limb and try it with some hot tea...I'll let everyone know how it turns out.
Old April 8th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #16
Joey
лучшее

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddict81 View Post
Not bad at about 4 parts coke 1 part AH WT. Going to go out on a limb and try it with some hot tea...I'll let everyone know how it turns out.
That actually sounds like it might be good, with the hot tea that is. The four parts coke one part WT would be a little weak for my tastes.
Old April 10th, 2009, 05:36 PM   #17
Speedaddict81

The hot tea I tried (an Indian Chai mix) certainly brought out the bourbon flavor and the sweetness was greatly subdued. I put a shot of the liquer at room temperature into the steeped tea, which may have caused part of the effect, perhaps I should have warmed the shot and steeped the tea with a warm liqour/hot water mixture. It's worth trying again to see if my results differ. Also worth a second opinion if someone else has a bottle of this lying around and likes hot tea.

And I'm normally about a 1 to 1 guy on my bourbon/whiskey and coke mix unless I'm just drinking it on the rocks, but this was just too sweet and overpowering for that.

Now I've finished my tea and dare say it seems to have been fairly nice, once the palate adjusted to the new flavor.
Old April 12th, 2009, 12:14 AM   #18
Zephyr

I have tried this twice, but I really dislike sweet liquors, and I can't convince myself to enjoy it. I haven't mixed it with anything, so that may be tolerable. For now though, I'll pass on the WT Honey.

Good review!
Zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 01:17 AM   #19
Recoyle

Default WT AH and DP

Noticing a lot of people not liking the sweetness of AH, but I'm telling everyone here... Half Dr. Pepper and half AH... it is the perfect chick drink.

I am a bartender and will have women come up to the bar all the time asking for something that "tastes good." That is the mix I make for all of them and have only had one out of maybe 100 come back and say it was too sweet.
Recoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 03:19 AM   #20
Joey
лучшее

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoyle View Post
Noticing a lot of people not liking the sweetness of AH, but I'm telling everyone here... Half Dr. Pepper and half AH... it is the perfect chick drink.

I am a bartender and will have women come up to the bar all the time asking for something that "tastes good." That is the mix I make for all of them and have only had one out of maybe 100 come back and say it was too sweet.
Welcome to AR Thanks for the input dude, we could always use the opinion of a bartender
Old May 23rd, 2009, 12:42 PM   #21
Bob Zelin

Default American Honey mixers

Hi -
someone asked how I found this forum - google-ing American Honey.

In Las Vegas, they have a drink at Palms Place Simon Restaurant and Bar called Honey Julip. It's nothing more than one part Wild Turkey, One Part American Honey, and some sweet/sour mix. It cuts the sweetness of the American Honey, but also cuts the burn of Wild Turkey. Sure- you could use Jack Daniels in this combo as well. But as you all know, mixing expensive alcohol (like Woodford Reserve) in a mixed drink is pointless - you can't tell the difference between the good stuff and the cheap stuff. So this makes an easy, inexpensive, perfect way to use American Honey.

Bob Zelin
Old May 25th, 2009, 01:26 AM   #22
Joey
лучшее

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Zelin View Post
Hi -
someone asked how I found this forum - google-ing American Honey.

In Las Vegas, they have a drink at Palms Place Simon Restaurant and Bar called Honey Julip. It's nothing more than one part Wild Turkey, One Part American Honey, and some sweet/sour mix. It cuts the sweetness of the American Honey, but also cuts the burn of Wild Turkey. Sure- you could use Jack Daniels in this combo as well. But as you all know, mixing expensive alcohol (like Woodford Reserve) in a mixed drink is pointless - you can't tell the difference between the good stuff and the cheap stuff. So this makes an easy, inexpensive, perfect way to use American Honey.

Bob Zelin
Old September 29th, 2009, 06:09 PM   #23
milwaukeeslammer
jb121683

Thumbs up honey?!?!

i cant believe i like this stuff! on the rocks, this is one of my top sippers for sure. i think its because its so damn smooth and different. anyone else notice that little b****-kick at the end of the taste from the bourbon? its proving that it is there but doesnt want to overwhelm your drink. i give it an 8 outta 10. its a bit weak for my liking but its perfect for after dinner or maybe if you just want a drink mid-week when you cant get hammered
milwaukeeslammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 10:24 AM   #24
Kojack

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeeslammer View Post
drink mid-week when you cant get hammered
Can't?
Kojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 04:41 PM   #25
Papsamir

I bought this because I was looking for Benedictine and the store didn't have it, and being a long time bourbon fan I thought I'd give it a try. It's far too sweet for sipping to me, but I have found some great uses for it in c***tails. I've been bartending and creating complex c***tails for over a decade and I think this is a great spirit to lighten up some of the more hardcore c***tails that light drinkers couldn't handle. Replacing half of the bourbon in a Manhattan with AH works really well. I also created a few c***tails with it that I'm in love with. First was a modified strawberry julep. Muddle fresh mint and 2 strawberries, add ice, then add 1.5oz of bourbon (Bulleit is best for this recipe) and .75 ounces AH. Shake it like it stole something, and strain over fresh ice. Garnish with a fresh mint sprig. My wife who despises bourbon loved this one. My favorite was a twist on the Ward 8, a classic c***tail. Use 1.75oz of bourbon (again I used Bulleit), and .5 ounces of AH. Squeeze an orange (or use .75 ounces of fresh oj) into the mix, along with .5oz of grenadine. Shake very well, and strain to serve up in a chilled glass. I garnished it with a blueberry, which added a little depth.

And for the guy who said "But as you all know, mixing expensive alcohol (like Woodford Reserve) in a mixed drink is pointless - you can't tell the difference between the good stuff and the cheap stuff." You couldn't be more wrong. An inexperienced drinker may not notice the difference, but c***tail recipes are very delicate. I guarantee you the recipes I listed above would not even be recognizable as the same drink if you used Jack Daniels, or even Wild Turkey 101. It may not make a difference to you, but every spirit is very unique and some do not play well with others. Otherwise there would be one brand of each liquor and the labels would simply read "Bourbon", "Vodka", etc...
Papsamir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 04:50 PM   #26
Papsamir

Angry WOW

Well, I posted a reply to this thread, but apparently I can't use the word c-tail because it has letters in it that if taken apart and made two different words it means something else. REALLY?!?!?! A site that calls itself the Alcohol Report and it deleted my post offering great info and recipes for [badword]tails that I created using the spirit being discussed? I dare say the site doesn't deserve my input. Would a golf forum delete my post for talking about the best brand of balls?

Unbelievable.
Papsamir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 11:36 PM   #27
Nick
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papsamir View Post
Well, I posted a reply to this thread, but apparently I can't use the word c-tail because it has letters in it that if taken apart and made two different words it means something else. REALLY?!?!?! A site that calls itself the Alcohol Report and it deleted my post offering great info and recipes for [badword]tails that I created using the spirit being discussed? I dare say the site doesn't deserve my input. Would a golf forum delete my post for talking about the best brand of balls?

Unbelievable.
It's just to keep the dirty words away from the search engines.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 11:53 PM   #28
Anthony
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
It's just to keep the dirty words away from the search engines.
Shouldn't be an issue if he turns the swear filter off, no?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2009, 11:28 PM   #29
Nick
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Shouldn't be an issue if he turns the swear filter off, no?
Correct, but that option apparently isn't obvious to new members.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 06:57 PM   #30
Phil 386

I tried this stuff back in November, and really liked it. I just drank it on the rocks, thought it was tasty, if a tiny bit too sweet. I'd buy it again, but have other higher priorities.
Phil 386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 11:00 AM   #31
usaf1125

Default wild turkey honey

My regulars are Jameson's and/or Irish Mist. Picked up a nip of the Wild Turkey American Honey at the package store to try. What a surprise, it is excellent, it is not for serious drinking, sipping after dinner or to replace wine during dinner. A very pleasant experience.
usaf1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 11:47 AM   #32
pcdocvidalia

Thumbs up New guy here.

Just found this forum. Started drinking the original Wild Turkey Liqueur over 15 years ago. Bought my first bottle of American Honey last week, on my second bottle now. The taste is a little different that the original but it still taste great.
pcdocvidalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 05:24 PM   #33
Bob Zelin

Default my third response to this thread !

I was inspired to write back, after seeing the gentleman's response that he was a Jameson's drinker, AND to viewing the Wild Turkey Bourbon website.

# 1 - I am drinking Jameson's right now. My mother in law has a stupid expression "waste not - want not" - so I put Jameson's in all of my leftover coffee every day - nothing else defines Irish Coffee like Jameson's.

#2 - everyone is saying "it's too sweet". The definitive Bourbon drink in the United States is "Jack and Coke" which is nothing more than sweet Jack Daniels (no single barrel, or Gentlemen Jack) and full sugar Coca Cola, so no offense, but give me a break. The popularity of Jack Daniels in the United States is from "Jack and Coke", which is probably the #1 requested drinks in history. And for the purists, I know the legal difference between Wiskey and Bourbon-Wiskey.

#3 - if American Honey is not "sweet enough" ( I see half the readers of this forum passing out right now), make a "martini" or "on the rocks" of American Honey and Buttershots" and you will soon say "who needs chocolate cake for desert anyway ?".

#4 - as to the gentlemen who questions not being able to tell "good bourbon" from "any bourbon" in a mixed drink - as someone who can tell "good vodka" like Ketel One, from "crap vodka", like Smirnoff - in a mixed drink - If you can tell me the difference between Ketel One and Smirnoff in a mixed drink with Triple Sec and a juice (like Cranberry juice), then I owe you $100 bucks. And if you are wrong - you don't owe me $100 bucks - just get on your knees and bark like a dog. That's all the payment I need.

I apologize to this esteemed forum in advance, for any offense that I may have made in my foolish statements. This is truly a great forum.

Bob Zelin
Post New Thread  Reply

Alcohol Report > Alcohol Reviews > Liquors